Tuesday, September 23, 2014

J. Crew Review: Flannel Shirt in Brilliant Sea Check

About 1 week to go for me so this one is a stretch... literally. I've been enjoying previewing some of the new fall arrivals at J Crew and Madewell while knowing that I can't possibly purchase anything yet. I love a good button-down and I know I'm going to have to buy a few new ones for work since my old size isn't going to quite make it over my hormonal boobs any time soon. Of course, this shirt is not exactly work wear but I was drawn to the gorgeous color and wanted to give it a go.

Flannel Shirt in Brilliant Sea Check (size 4)

 I've been going up a size in shirts for the aforementioned reason. This one was still a bit snug in the bust but not terrible. The material feels nothing like flannel to me. In fact, it feels almost summer-weight - sort of gauzy. It feels really nice but doesn't scream "fall" to me. The fit through the shoulders and waist is great - really nicely shaped. I think you need that with a fairly masculine looking shirt like this.

 Cute and cute. Excuse the hand. There was no way this was getting buttoned and I don't think anyone needs to see my stretched out belly button right now :). I was surprised by this shirt. I thought for sure it would feel too lumberjack-y to me but I really liked it. The fit is so feminine that it balances the other elements out. I could do without the buttoned pockets across the chest - adds extra bulk that I don't need.

Here's my quality issue - upon unbuttoning the shirt, several of the buttonholes snagged on string and left this lovely mess. For $89.50, I would expect better.

I did order a shirt from Brooks Brothers during their friends and family and I can bet the quality will be far better (and the price unbeatable - around $33.75). I'll review that when it comes.

What do you think of the "Flannel" shirt in Brilliant Sea Check?

6 comments:

  1. The colour is pretty, and it does look like a nice cut! Way to go on the nine months...almost there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, home stretch. The color really is lovely. J Crew does know how to do a good shirt!

      Delete
  2. Well I do believe the butterball is about ready. Anything would look cute on you. Fun times very soon and please be kind and gentle to yourself..trust me it's tough but you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes I hope so. My last kiddo was late but I'm hoping this one will want to make her appearance a little earlier. Thanks for the compliment and the advice! Trying to take it easy but too busy being overwhelmed by the nesting instinct!

      Delete
  3. A little bundle very soon. How exciting! Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete