Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Madewell Reviews: End of Summer Sale!

I love Madewell. Love it. They're sort of like J Crew's cooler, slouchier cousin. Usually they do not have as good sales as J Crew but I hit the jackpot the other day with 40% off in store. Bought some things I've been eyeing forever (hello Sungarden jeans and Skinny Skinny jeans) for rockbottom prices.

Since I'm not falling in love with a lot of their fall offerings, I feel a little less guilty snapping up some of their summer items which I did really like. Here's what I found:

Linen V-Neck Tee (XS and S)
 I've never really considered linen tees before until the 8,000 degree continuous weather. This one is lovely. I preferred the fit in the XS only because it nipped in at the waist a bit and the v was a little less low. In general, I find the v-necks at Madewell are cut very low.

Essential White Boyshirt (XS)
 Who doesn't love a little white shirt? This one is standard fare and probably a bit more casual than the JC White Boyshirt that I own from a year or two ago. Madewell's boyshirts are sometimes a little snug for my across the chest and a little too loose through the waist. I think this one is pretty cute but not a must have.

Market Popover in Mountain Floral (XS)
I like this print a lot but I don't usually wear black on top. The cotton is nice and lightweight, almost sort of wrinkly (sounds bad but is cute in person). My usual XS fit fine.

Scenic View Dress (XS) in Black
 I think this is such a cute idea! I love the little peekaboo back - you can still wear a bra! The XS felt tight for this style of dress - pretty snug in the hips - which I was surprised by. I think it needs a belt but I'm not sure how to belt a backless dress. Definitely needs a little sass-ing up.

 Scenic View Dress (size S) in Pure White
 I thought the small might be better but I was wrong. This looked like a saggy mess. There's a lot going on here. Cute as the idea is I think this may be a pass for my body.

Florastitch Sweater (XS)
I wasn't loving the other items that came in this pattern but I adore the sweater. The way you can barely detect the pattern there is really fun. The fit is definitely a little oversized but I like that. This was on sale for $44.99 + 40% off (+15% if you are an educator/student) while still full price online. Very lightweight, perfect for summer layering. 

 Silk Boyshirt (XS)
I love Madewell's silk boyshirts. Roll tab sleeves, fittted through waist, nice length. This particular color has been hanging out in the sale section for quite some time. I believe it was $59.99. It is a bit transparent but the color is very sweet. 

 Silk Twist-Back Tankdress in Floral Frame (size 2)
 This is on sale online and still full price in store. I sort of love it but can't tell if it feels the same. It was a bit snug through the chest because of the twisted back but the skirt portion felt great. I think it's awesome that I could wear a bra with this one as well (if I pinned it). Felt very nipped in at the waist and the back detail is just so playful. Can't tell if a) it's flattering or b) if it's too young. I think the pics look fine but I remember thinking if made me look uber-busty in store. Hmm...

 V-Neck Pocket Tee (XS) in Noble Blue
Nice stretchy cotton. I would size up to a small but then it would be even longer and I felt it was a bit too long in the first place. Gorgeous color. Again a little low on the v-neck.

Silk Bow-Back Tank (XS) in Black
 Hard to see the details in these photos but the bow on the back is charming. I really like the split back as well. Neckline is a bit high for my taste but I understand that it balances the back a bit. Has a bit of a swing shape.

 Silk Boyshirt in Gingham (XS)
The color was too loud and the fit a little overly sloppy. I've had size XS fit differently in different boyshirts. Sometimes I think they get mislabeled. I have one like this in a red and black plaid that I adore.

I also picked up some cute Keds in the Sungarden print for about $20. Love them!

Have you shopped Madewell's 40% off sale?

2 comments:

  1. Love your madewell reviews! I've been looking for the scenic dress for a while, but ended up going with the black silk cami dress. thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I adore Madewell. They've been a refreshing change from J Crew (which of course I love too).

    ReplyDelete