Sunday, June 30, 2013

J Crew Reviews: Tuxedo Stripes and Sparkles

Moving. Why is it so stressful? Why am I so bad at transitions? Ugh. For 1 week in, our place is looking pretty good - very livable which is all I wanted. But now we're down to the dregs. Those boxes that you open and wonder what you were thinking when you packed them. My whole goal in going from an apartment to an actual house is to spread stuff out. So that I might actually be able to find it! Needless to say, I've been looking for a break from my unpacking and I might have found myself at J Crew once, or maybe even twice (insert sheepish grin). Here's what I found during the recent 30% promo.

Perfect Shirt in Lodden Paisley
I've tried this on before and at $69.99 - 30% it's a pretty good deal for Liberty print. J Crew definitely does button down shirts right and this one is no exception. I'm usually drawn to darker colors but I think the print is really feminine and sweet for spring/summer.

This I found shocking - they are already on sale for $69.99 in store! I love anything with a tuxedo stripe so I had to have these. I do find they run a little bigger than the other cafe capris but I sort of liked that. Super cute and an easy transition into fall. They are navy, which I am an absolute sucker for.

 Space-dyed Sparkle Sweater (XXS)
Yes I've tried this on before too. I think it will get cut even more since it doesn't really seem to be moving. The space-dye effect is quite lovely and there are several sparkly tones in there - olive, copper, gold. The style is oversized so I decided to size down on this one.

 Camp Tunic Dress (size 0)
Yet another try-on repeat but this time in a size smaller. I think this dress is so preppy cute! I was on the fence about the size 0 because it is a bit short and a tiny bit snug up top but I love the way it fits through the waist and hips. The cotton is really crisp and the sleeves have roll tabs. I think you could easily pop it over some white jeans in summer or skinny pants in fall.

 Maritime Blazer in Placed Stripe (XS)
I like the idea of this blazer but I did not like the color - the creaminess of it was not flattering to my skin tone. It fits like your usual J Crew blazer and is nice and stretchy. I've never really liked J Crew blazers on my body. Something about the way they nip in at the waist but then continue to taper - I find it unflattering. Just my 2 cents.

 Sparkle Crewneck Sweater (XXS) in Sparkle Sky
Sparkles! I was really curious about this sweater. It's cute and I like the subtle blue color and sheerness for summer. I sized down and still felt like there was plenty enough room.

 Boyfriend Popover in Placed Stripe (size 2)
This is a horror show. Woah. WAY oversized and so square. And the stripes just say prison. I'm not sure how this could be fixed. It's a shame because the "placed stripe" is the only thing this shirt has going for it.

Short-Sleeve Summerweight Boyfriend Sweatshirt (XXS) in Vintage Champagne
I weirdly sort of liked this but I think I should have stuck with my regular size for a more slouchy "boyfriend" fit. It's a rather thick sweatshirt material for summer and I'd rather it be a little shorter. The neckline stood up a little and was too high for my liking.

 Vintage Cotton V-neck Tee (XS)
I like these little t-shirts but the vee was a bit too low for me. They are perfect for summer with the thinner weight material. I think I'll stick to the round neck ones.

 Knit Tunic Dress with Marled Trim (XS) in Navy
I adore this little dress. Pockets, cute trim, navy (yes I have a problem with both navy and sparkles). But, I just couldn't figure out where I'd wear it besides over a swimsuit. It's a but low cut in the front and way too short to wear around town. It's a shame, if it was a few inches longer it would be a wonderful throw-on-and-go dress.

 Colorblock Flare Mini (size 0)
Even the SA warned me that this skirt was fitting weird. The waist was way too big and the pleats didn't lay correctly. I think if I sized down it might be rather cute. This is definitely a skirt that needs to be worn at the waist and not at the hips. The material was a nice weight and the idea is sweet. A bit worried about pleats since in the 2nd photo they make me look like I have some sort of hoop skirt underneath.

Overall I have not been thrilled with J Crew's summer offerings. At least there have been some good bargains to be had!


1 comment:

  1. That j crew navy tunic dress: is there a lot of fabric around the stomach area? I passed this dress up without trying it on and wonder if that was a mistake! Is the dress boxy or unflattering at all?

    ReplyDelete